There were originally nine Jews living in Regina in 1891, but by 1901, there was only one left. By 1911, the population had risen again to 130. Undoubtedly, the first Jews of Regina had settled initially on the surrounding farm colonies in Southern Saskatchewan, namely Wapella (1888), Hirsch (1892), Lipton (1901), Cupar (1901), Sonnenfeld (1906) or Edenbridge (1906). The Heppner family farm at Wapella was the first permanent Jewish farm in Canada. Several Regina families maintained their farms at these sites into the 1990s.
The Chevra Kadisha was the first Jewish organization to emerge in Regina, in 1904. The first minyan took place in 1905 at a private home. The Cemetery was formally established in 1915. The leader of the community at this point was William L. Nathanson, proprietor of the Clayton Hotel, who helped form the first minyan, and played a key role in the establishment of the first Talmud Torah. The first Jewish wedding to take place in the community was that of Dora Schacter and Joseph Schwartzfeld on January 23, 1909. Dora’s brother Jacob is the namesake of the Orthodox synagogue in Regina, the Beth Jacob, as the first organizational meeting took place at his home in 1906. By 1910, the “House of Jacob” congregation had hired a professional shochet and established regular weekly minyans. By 1912, there were 12 families, and a building committee was organized. The committee purchased two lots for $1600, and in 1913, the cornerstone was laid for the new synagogue, which was completed in time for Rosh Hashanah services. That same year, the community established a Talmud Torah in rented space on 11th Avenue for 40 children and two teachers. Within the year, a building was moved onto a lot on St. John Street to permanently house the school. The next to be established was the Regina Zionist Council. Also in 1913, the community began negotiations with the City for the formal transfer of title of the two acres of land on Broad Street already in use as a Jewish Cemetery. This charter was granted in 1915.
By 1916, Regina’s Jewish population had increased fourfold in five years to 495. By 1921, there were 860 Jews in Regina, a growth rate higher than that of the general population. The peak of the Jewish population occurred in 1931 at 1,010. On the other hand, the Jewish farm population in the five major colonies peaked in 1916 at 966 and then slowly started to decline. By 1931 the number of active Jewish farmers had sunk to 157. This indicates that in Regina, as throughout the West, there was a slow but steady exodus from the farms to the towns and then to the larger centres of Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary and Edmonton. Many also moved to larger cities like Winnipeg, Toronto and Vancouver.
The First World War brought with it a groundswell of Zionist enthusiasm, which reached its peak with the Balfour Declaration Parade of 1920, when the whole Jewish community marched through the city. The war also gave rise to the growth of many Jewish organizations within the city, including the Jewish Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, Brownies, Cubs, AZA and Young Judeans. The Hebrew Ladies’ Benevolent Society was establishted in 1914, the Brandeis Lodge of B’nai Brith in 1915 (charter revoked in 1923), the Regina Chapter of Hadassah in 1921 and the Anna Selick Junior Chapter, established in 1927; the Hebrew Sick Benefit Association in 1921 and the Ladies Auxilliary to the Talmud Torah in 1927. A new B’nai Brith Lodge was chartered in 1929, which still exists. A major Zionist convention was held in Regina in 1928, which brought together Jews from across Western Canada. In 1920, the community hired its first Rabbi, Menachem Kalef, who served for 25 years.
The original B’nai Brith Lodge helped to raise the money to purchase land and erect a new Talmud Torah building, whose cornerstone was laid on May 11, 1924. Classes began on September 22, 1924 with 150 students and three teachers. By 1926, all the major Jewish organizations in the city were amalgamated into one administrative entity, the Regina Hebrew Federated Budget, or Community. By this time, the community had become large enough to sustain a full-time kosher butcher shop, governed by the community. Rabbi Kalef served as shochet, and taxes were collected on the meat to help support the community. However, this butcher shop proved to be one of the most contentious issues the young community had to face.
The thirties hit Saskatchewan hard, but the Jewish population in Regina did not decline all that much. From a high of 1010 in 1931, it only dropped 7% by 1941 to 944. All of the major institutions survived. A new Hadassah chapter was formed during that decade and the Regina Hebrew Savings and Credit Union was formed in 1937 with 68 members. It was the first credit union incorporated under the Province’s new Credit Union Act. Membership was open to “persons being of Hebrew descent, residing in the city of Regina and Southern Saskatchewan south of Township 28.” The entrance fee was 25 cents and shares cost $5.00. It offered loans to members of the community who could not qualify for ordinary bank loans. The union was dissolved in 1972.
The thirties were also a time of flourishing Yiddish culture, and as a result, a new Yiddish school was established in Regina, as in Edmonton and Calgary. The Jewish National School was located in the old Labour Temple, just north of the synagogue. By the outbreak of WWII, however, the community saw the need to re-unite and shelve their differences to show a united front, and the two schools were merged once again.
On September 11, 1945, a committee was formed to build a new Community Centre. A decision was made to purchase land, and the corner stone was laid four years later. Meanwhile, the old Ottawa Street synagogue was condemned as unsafe in October 1946, and fundraising for the new building took on a new urgency. During the summer of 1948, just after the establishment of the State of Israel, the Canadian Jewish Congress arranged for 14 teenaged war orphans to be resettled in Regina, which marked a new era in the Jewish community. On September 3, 1950, the new Jewish Community Centre and Synagogue was officially opened. On that occasion, 193 charter members and their families were present as well as dignitaries from across Canada.
In the early 1950s members of B’nai Brith founded a curling club. The rink was built in the summer of 1952, and opened on January 23, 1953 as the “Wheat City Curling Club.” Curling continued to be popular well into the 1970s, but in 1979, the rink was sold to another group, and the proceeds from the sale were put into a trust fund to benefit the Beth Jacob Synagogue and the Hebrew School. Also that decade, a new Talmud Torah was built, which opened on April 18, 1955.
Women’s involvement in communal activity increased dramatically during the post-war period, with two new chapters of Hadassah as well as the Hadassah Bazaar, which continued until 1984. In 1964, the Synagogue Board approved Bat Mitzvah ceremonies for young women. The first Bat Mitzvah took place in 1969. In 1967, the community again considered mixed seating in the synagogue. After a change in its spiritual allegiance from the Chief Rabbi of the British Empire to Yeshiva University of New York, the congregation voted in 1973 to ask permission for mixed seating from Yeshiva University. They were turned down. It wasn’t until 1987, after the congregation, whose numbers were now much diminished, declared independence from any Rabinnical supervisory body, that mixed seating was instituted on a permanent basis at Beth Jacob.
The Reform Temple, Beth Tikvah, was founded in Regina in 1990, probably due to a high rate of intermarriage within the community. In addition, a mixed burial ground was opened in the Jewish cemetery for inter-married couples in 2005. In the 2001 census the number of Jews in Regina was roughly the same as it had been since 1951– 720, roughly the same size as the Saskatoon community.